The Closet

Sunday, August 31, 2008

I love home-improvement projects. They keep me busy (or at least give me a distraction from regular "chores") and they challenge my brain just a bit! I have learned that most projects I tackle are more about problem solving. Sometimes there are studs where you want them to be but most often they are not in the right places so you have to figure out how to implement a design and provide the max amount of safety possible! And I have to admit, I kind of like doing this...plus I love the results! So the project I decided to work on was remodeling Sydney's closet. It was just one of those standard reach in closets with the shelf and clothes bar that went all the way across, and according to my observations a huge waste of precious space. Her closet is only about 5 feet by 2 feet so I didn't have too much to work with. The first day I ripped out the existing system.
Then I repaired the drywall and sanded down everything and then painted the whole closet white so you couldn't tell that anything else had previously been there. That was the easy part.
Then I bought some Closetmaid shelving and a whole bunch of parts and started working! I ended up installing adjustable shelving on one side of the closet, a shelf on the very top that went all the way across the entire closet, and two clothes bars on the other side.

For the clothes bars I made sure they would fit standard measurement for adult clothes and also the top clothes bar extends farther over than the bottom clothes bar to accommodate long hanging items.
Here's the finished project with all of Sydney's clothes and toys! I can't believe how much stuff we were able to fit in her closet.
The best part is all the toys and art supplies have a place and don't have to be out in the room anywhere.
And then I can just shut the closet doors and everything is nice and clean! One of the main reasons I did this is because we decided to separate Sydney and Sophie...mainly because neither of them were sleeping very well together. Don't get me wrong, the LOVED sharing a room and I think they were very sad for a few days, but since I have separated them, they are both sleeping through the night and even sleeping in again. So it was worth the work.
Sorry I had to brag just a bit about the closet because I was excited I figured it all out. I have a long list of other "projects" I am hoping to tackle in the next couple of years. And just to note, even with tons of planning and measuring and re-measuring, I still ended up going to Lowe's 3-4 times to complete this...so it was not without problems!

16 comments:

Andie August 31, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Maylene, I'm seriously impressed, although not surprised! That's just like you to get an idea and make it work. Good for you braving it alone while Mark is so busy.

Jen August 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Wow, Maylene! That looks just awesome. I am amazed at your home improvement skills. Someday when we have a house, I'll give you a call for ideas. :)

Amanda A August 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

Maylene, I love it. That is what I want to do in Lily and Wyatt's closet. That would get their clothes where they need to be. Right now Lily has to climb on a doll bunk bed and then on top off a keyboard just to get her dresses down for church. That would also be a place where I could put their games. I love it!

hillari August 31, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

great job! That really improved the closet space. I don't know where you found the time, but it's bound to save you time in the future since you have all the toys so nicely organized. :)

Amy O'Neill September 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

Wow, I am so impressed! I would never even attempt to do something like that. It would turn out crooked or just completely fall of the wall once I put stuff on it. It turned out nice. One day I would like to organize my kids closets like that, I am sure it makes such a difference... but I will leave it all to Robert while I supervise! ;)

Jilynn September 1, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Nice work Maylene! I could never do that!

Kimberly September 1, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

I am so impressed! Nice job!

Unknown September 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

I REALLY wish I had that home improvement gene...I really want to do that to our closets!

Shenna September 1, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

That looks great! I may have to copy your idea for Maddi and Alex's closets. :)

Heather Shepherd September 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

sigh...I wish I was so motivated. I just complain about the closet situation, I've never done anything as awesome as you!

Tami H. September 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

I am truly inspired. I like refinishing and re-doing furniture to make them look nice. But I admit, I would be overwhelmed to start messing with drywall and patching and studs and level shelfing all by myself. However, you may have given me the confidence to try it.
I like the low clothes rack. Right now, Abby climbs on a pile of blankets and pulls down her dresses so she can wear a dress. However, she breaks a hanger almost every time.

Summer September 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

Wow! You are so talented! I would love to do something like that...but am just too afraid something would come up and I would abandon the whole thing and be worse off then when I begun! It looks great!

Hollie September 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM  

ok so u actually did all that shelving work by urself? very impressive lady! :) im jealous! i always make chad do that kind of stuff! or we do it together! lol :)

Cara September 6, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

you're incredible!!! I love what you did. AND, I'm glad you're getting a little more sleep now!

Jamie Parke September 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

It looks so good. I want to go change all my closets right now!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family September 14, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

wow! you're amazing. you talk about repairing drywall like it's an everyday occurence for most people!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP