Cotton and turtle gates...

Sunday, August 19, 2007


When we were in St. George, we went to see the St. George temple. While we were walking around the grounds, someone pointed out these huge planters filled with cotton plants. There are a few fields of cotton in Tolleson...but of course I have never really paid too much attention to them. I thought these plants were kind of cool though. You could practically pick a cotton ball out of each one of the "flowers" once they open up.Here is a close up of the cotton "flower" which is basically a good sized cotton ball sticking out. Maybe I should plant one of these in my backyard so that I can remove nail polish outside without having to go hunt down cotton balls!
Another funny thing we saw while driving around St. George were these short fences (only about 1 1/2 feet high) that bordered many of the roads. They are called turtle fences and they keep the turtles or tortoises off the road. There must be a lot of turtles residing in the area to warrant building these fences everywhere.
I just found this picture online of a desert turtle...when I got out to take a picture of the turtle fences I certainly looked around to see if I could find one...but they must have all been hiding from the hot sun. Oh well, I'm sure most desert turtles look pretty much the same.

1 comments:

Cara August 19, 2007 at 6:32 PM  

Wow - A turtle fence. I had absolutely NO IDEA those even existed. Why can't I think of something uselful like that and patent it. I am sure the guy who thought of turtle fences has made millions!! Maybe I could invent a mosquito fence or even better... a spider fence!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP