Gingerbread houses

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sydney had been bugging me for weeks about making a gingerbread house together. Finally I said we would do it and to sweeten the deal, I let her invite a few friends over to make one as well. I figured if I was already buying candy for one house and cutting out gingerbread pieces...I mind as well make a few extra houses. Of course you can see from the pictures, the houses were very small tract homes. Nothing fancy about these gingerbread houses. They didn't even have two car garages! Although, I think they turned out well, since I had never made gingerbread before until this particular time. I found a good recipe online and it worked out well.
Each girl had a TON of candy and frosting to complete their house. I had royal icing in a decorator bag to pipe wherever or however I was directed! I decided to let them just do exactly what they wanted to their house (and eat as much candy in the process as well). I think they had a blast. We had gumdrops, tiny pink, yellow, and green mints, holiday M&M's, skittles, peppermints, candy canes, cinnamon hots, white chocolate chips, and a few other candies that I don't really know how to describe. I also made small gingerbread people for each house with the leftover scraps and then I made my ginger cookie recipe (so the girls could snack on ginger cookies while making their houses, instead of trying to eat the house).

Here are a few pictures of their creations. Honestly, even though it was a bit of work the night before...I might have to start this tradition because I really did have fun designing the houses, cutting out the pieces and icing them together. Plus it was worth the look on Sydney's face when she came home from school and saw all the houses ready to decorate! Sydney loves doing creative activities and this one was fun because she was able to do it all by herself.




10 comments:

Jamie Parke December 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM  

These are adorable. You are such a fun Mom!

Julie December 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

Maylene, you're making us lazy moms look bad. Stop it!

Jen December 14, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

I had a thought-chain the other day about why gingerbread houses are always made from graham crackers and not actual gingerbread. Maylene, you've shown me a whole new world of gingerbread houses! Honestly, so cute and SO creative.

Amy December 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

Cute Maylene! I'm going to have to get that recipe from you. Will u e-mail it to me if you have the chance?

Unknown December 15, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

You really are such a good mom! And it's so funny that you waited in line for SNOW...especially since you're from Minnesota! Ha ha...looks fun, though...and not as cold as the real thing!

Cara December 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

Totally impressed!!! Did you also make the gingerbread from scratch?! You're amazing!!!

Hollie December 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM  

man i need to be more like you! :) in all my spare time i think i can maybe come close to doing things like you...luv u girl

Krystal December 18, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

cute houses. on saturday i told my kids we could make graham cracker houses because they would be pretty dissapointed in trying to eat gingerbread houses. did you or sandy happen to catch julian in any of your pictures from the Christmas concert? I babysit two babies so I came in very late (Takes forever to load and unload them plus finding parking), I walked in as the last song was ending and Julian had left before I could get up to the stage. Im a bad mom. I cried for like 20 minutes. thanks

brockbank December 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Hey! I was so shocked to see your message. Totally unexpected! I'm so glad you found us. We've added you to our friends and family so we'll have fun reading your posts and keeping in touch! Your girls are darling and you look great! Hope you had a merry christmas too!

PML January 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

Those are cute. You are a fun mom. Oh my heck that is what the first person said and I promise I wrote mine before reading the other one.

That is a good idea to just make them from scratch because we made ours from a kit and the candy was kind of gross and the gingerbread is more like cardboard.

Anyway I found your blog on Beth's. Hope you don't mind but I put a link onto my own blog so I can remember to look at it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP