A little under the weather...

Monday, July 14, 2008

Today is Monday and it is now early afternoon...and I am still alive...well barely! Last week went pretty much like normal. I was trying to get back into the swing of things after being gone for two weeks. Then Friday came along. Friday morning the relief society president called to ask if I could take over the funeral she was doing on Saturday morning at the church. (FYI, I am the second counselor in the presidency, and the first counselor was out of town.) She apparently had some awful flu virus and was in no shape to leave her house. I immediately agreed and anyway, I was already supposed to be helping out with it...so what's a little bit more work. I had a doctor's appointment on Friday morning and then planned on running all over that afternoon to buy the food for approximately 90 people that were going to be attending. Plus I had to prepare a meal for the same family for 7 people and have it to their house by 5:00. I know, it sounds like a lot but I usually have lots of energy and my kids are great most of the time so I knew I could handle it.

Unfortunately, right after I dropped off the babysitter, I started to feel slightly sick to my tummy. I thought maybe my blood sugar was just low and I needed to eat so I rushed home to make us all lunch before we went back out. I tried to eat the best I could but I just seemed to be feeling worse. I laid down on the couch for about 20 minutes and then exercised all my will power available to get going. Afterall, I did have quite a bit to get done before 5:00. First stop...Costco...to price out the hams. The smells alone were pretty difficult for me to endure (if you know what I mean). I just focused on breathing in and out and leaning mostly on the cart while I pushed the girls. Then we hurried out of Costco to head to Albertson's to price their hams. I barely made it through Albertson's and decided to head back to Costco. Of course on the way back to Costco I called Mark for emergency back-up help. I explained that I felt really sick and all the stuff I had to do...and I had no idea how I was going to be able to function. Well, needless to say, once back inside Costco...I had to turn right around and go back to the car and just go home. I was way too sick to be up and needed to be close to my own bathroom immediately.

I won't go into all the gory sick details...but then the fun began. Mark made it home and turned into a superhero! He cut up all this fruit I had purchased the day before and then headed back to Costco with Sydney to buy a ready made meal of sorts (since I had not been able to make what I had anticipated) and drop it off at the family's home. Then he came back home to take care of the kids and get them dinner. Now this is the odd part. For some reason...I started to feel just a little bit better...at least well enough that I felt like maybe I could attempt going back to Costco to get the food needed for the funeral in the morning. So Mark and I and the kids set back out to attack the grocery list. Somehow, I made it through all this and was mostly just exhausted by the end. I was also supposed to play for this funeral so I started to try and find someone to fill in for me...but couldn't get a hold of anyone on Friday night.

Friday night, I pretty much kept Mark up the whole night being sick and all. Then at 7:00 am I dragged into the shower only to get sick right afterwards. The reality was I couldn't really leave the house. Again I frantically called someone to play the piano for me. Finally, a sister in our ward was able to rearrange her schedule so she could do it. And all that food and prep work that needed to be done...well you guessed it...Mark left with Sydney to take care of everything. See he must have been channeling super hero powers that day! He was there from about 8:00 in the morning until 3:00 with two other women working on getting everything ready and then cleaning up afterward. I don't know what I would have done without him. Certainly I was in no shape to go anywhere. I guess Mark is sort of unofficially part of the compassionate service committee! But Mark didn't stop there. He came home, very tired I might add and took care of the kids and cleaned up the house. (Did I mention, I had Sophie at home with me...she pretty much ran all over and made messes and got into thing all day long!) Sunday, Mark continued to be Mr. Mom all day because I was still very sick. I hate flu bugs like that. I always want them to hurry and be over with.

Sunday night I was finally able to start drinking a tiny bit of Powerade and it has helped out marginally. I am still alive today...although pretty weak. I lost 4-5 pounds over the course of 2 days so I am just trying to slowly get my strength back. I am so lucky to have a husband like Mark to step in and help out last minute, even when it is sort of relief society work! I also appreciate those sisters in our ward who helped out with the music and the funeral for me so I could stay home from church and skip out on the funeral. And hopefully no one else in our family gets this stuff. It is absolutely awful!


Carly July 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

Maylene, that sounds awful. Dave and Addison haven't been feeling well for several days too and I was feeling sorry for myself, even though they just have colds. I shouldn't complain, at least I feel fine (so far). I hope you're feeling better soon. Call me if you need anything.

kathleener July 14, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

oh, i'm so sorry that you got so sick!! mark really is a super hero in my book...as well as sydney! wow--i'm sure you'll all need another mini-vacation after that weekend.

Robyn July 14, 2008 at 7:49 PM  

Way to go, Mark! It's so hard being sick when you're the mom...plus you had SO MUCH other stuff to do! Geez! I hope you're REALLY better...not just thinking you're better when you're not!

Jilynn July 14, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

Sucks to be sick but I see a few positives here. 1. You lost weight without having to go to the gym! 2. I'm sure you were reminded why you married Mark and what an awesome, loving, brother I have! 3. You got to rest which doesn't happen very often when you have two small children at home!
4. At least you were at your house instead of in a cabin that didn't have a restroom! I hope you are feeling better!

Jen July 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Maylene -- That sounds awful. But, I agree with the last comment -- you got to be reminded of the wonderful husband that you married. Way to step up to the plate, Mark! And, I hope you are feeling better Maylene, for a long time.

Cara July 19, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

Ugh... that stinks! Hope you're feeling better now! What an awesome husband you have!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP